Craving some chocolate pudding, but you do not have a pudding mix? Want to make your own, but no cornstarch is left in your pantry?
There is no need to feel bad or sad, as there is a solution. You can make the most delicious and creamy pudding without any cornstarch.
Making pudding is easy with a few essential ingredients you probably have somewhere in your pantry.
This old-fashioned dessert is something you can cook up on the stove and have at the table in just a few minutes.
The key is to cook the pudding over medium-high heat and constantly whisk until it reaches the desired consistency.
People usually think it is impossible to make pudding without cornstarch. Cornstarch is a fine powder, but it tends to turn the pudding into a lumpy mess, so making a pudding without it is beneficial.
How To Thicken Pudding Without Cornstarch
Here’s how to successfully thicken pudding without cornstarch:
- Avoid lumps – Make sure you combine the dry ingredients in a saucepot. Mix them thoroughly. Then gradually fold the milk and whisk well until you have a smooth mixture. This will ensure you have a smooth pudding.
- Use whole cow’s milk – Of course, you can use other types of milk, like almond milk or coconut milk, but do not use heavy cream. The heavy cream will make the pudding a bit too dense. The pudding will be too thin if you use anything thin like skimmed milk.
How To Make Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Egg-Free Pudding
- Gluten-Free – If you can find a certified GF cocoa powder and flour, you will have a gluten-free chocolate pudding suitable for those with gluten intolerance. As this is quite a basic recipe, it can handle some adjustments.
- Dairy-Free – You can use almond, cashew, or coconut milk for a dairy-free version.
- Egg-Free – How do you substitute eggs in the pudding? Add an extra 4 oz of chocolate. Keep in mind that this will make a much thicker pudding. So, if you ever run out of eggs but have a pile of chocolate, you can still make your chocolate pudding.
Things To Add To Pudding
You can serve this pudding as it is, maybe topped with something, but it is not mandatory. If you want to add a little something extra, here are some of our favorite additions:
- Whipped cream for a creamy indulgence.
- Dust with cocoa powder for a more chocolate taste.
- Top with berries for a kick of freshness
- Or sprinkle with crushed cookies (Oreo, amaretto) to give some texture.
There you have it. This fool-proof recipe is all you need.
How To Make Pudding Without Cornstarch
Now, let’s make some pudding so you can dig in!
Step 1: Grab your ingredients, saucepot, and whisk.
Step 2: In a saucepot, combine sugar, cocoa powder, and flour.
Step 3: Add the egg and stir until you have a thick paste.
Step 4: Whisk in milk until you have a smooth mixture.
Step 5: Bring the pudding to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until thickened. Add in butter and vanilla. Cook until smooth.
Step 6: Transfer the pudding to a heat-proof bowl. Cover with a plastic foil to prevent the crust from forming. Let the pudding cools down.
Step 7: Spoon the pudding into serving bowls and top with your desired topping.
Chocolate Pudding Without Cornstarch
yield: 3 PUDDING CUPS prep time: 10 MINUTES cook time: 5 MINUTES total time: 15 MINUTES
This chocolate pudding is so creamy and delicious. Pair it with cookies, mint, or berries. You can’t go wrong!
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
In a saucepot, combine sugar, cocoa powder, and flour.
Add egg and stir until you have a thick paste.
Whisk in milk and stir until you have a smooth mixture.
Set the pudding over a stove.
Bring the pudding to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until thickened. Add in butter and vanilla. Cook until smooth.
Transfer the pudding to a heat-proof bowl. Cover with a plastic foil to prevent the crust from forming. Let the pudding cool down.
Spoon the pudding into serving bowls and top with the desired topping.
YIELD: 3 SERVING SIZE: 1 pudding cup
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 234TOTAL FAT: 8gSATURATED FAT: 4gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 3gCHOLESTEROL: 82mgSODIUM: 118mgCARBOHYDRATES: 32gFIBER: 1gSUGAR: 17gPROTEIN: 8g(c) EmilyCATEGORY: Dessert
Heya, I’m Norah! The foodie editor here at YummyTasteFood! I love absolutely everything to do with food, baking, and eating! I earned my stripes in the hospitality industry as a pastry chef, sous chef, and barista. I’m now a freelance writing nomad. I do not miss the hospitality industry! Be sure to join our Facebook group – it’s free to access!