If you like crispy takeaway chicken, then you’ll enjoy this easy oven-baked chicken recipe!
The key to crisp, perfectly baked chicken is to add the coated chicken to baking dishes that are already hot. This will ensure that the chicken begins cooking immediately and can help to create that crisp coating we all enjoy!
What is Bisquick?
Bisquick is a basic pre-made baking mix. It is made from flour and fat, as well as an ingredient for leavening, as well as some salt.
Bisquick is used traditionally to make waffles, pancakes, muffins, biscuits, and pancakes, but Bisquick is a variety of uses that go beyond this.
If you’re considering making pancake mixes instead of Bisquick, Let me put you off right now. The traditional pancake mixes contain sugar as part of their composition, and I’m certain you wouldn’t like mixing sugar into your chicken fried!
In this recipe, make sure to go with Bisquick. It makes an amazingly crispy crust without sugar!
Do I have to make my own Bisquick Mix?
If you’re not able to locate Bisquick at the local supermarket or simply forgot to buy one, here’s a simple recipe that you can follow for making yourself Bisquick from scratch!
Here are the essential ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cubed
For making it mix the baking powder, flour, and salt in the food processor. Process the mix for 15 seconds prior to adding vegetable shortening, and then process once more until the mixture is similar to cornmeal.
It is possible to store your Bisquick you make yourself in a refrigerator for up to 3 months!
Tips and Tricks for the Best Fried Chicken
Before beginning this recipe, Here are some suggestions to ensure that you have your chicken fried the way you want it:
- Change the cooking time based on the size of the chicken you’re cooking. If you have skin-on and bone-in breasts, bake them for 30 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 20 minutes. The same procedure is applicable to the legs of your chicken. If you’re using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, bake at 20 degrees for about 20 minutes. Then then, flip them and bake for another 20 minutes. For wings of chicken, bake for 15 minutes, then flip them and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- If you’re thinking of substituting any other fat in place of butter, I’d suggest sticking with butter if your diet permits it. I’ve made the chicken using canola oil as well as bacon fat, but nothing beats butter!
- If you wish for your Bisquick to adhere a bit more securely to your chicken, dip it in a battered egg prior to the breading. Personally, I prefer to dip my chicken into egg whites that have been beaten, as it provides the chicken with a crispy soft coating.
- Take the cooked chicken out of the baking dish immediately after the chicken has baked. Do not allow them to remain in the butter, or they’ll become soggy.
How to Make It More Flavorful
Bisquick is great for coatings, but its flavor is quite neutral. If you’re looking to take things up a notch, here are some spices and seasonings that you can use to get the flavor you want from your chicken:
- Chicken that is spicy: garlic, paprika, and chili powder, as well as some salt and pepper
- Smoky chicken: Smoked garlic, paprika, salt, and the amount you want of pepper
- KFC chicken: KFC wedges, seasoning mix, and Bisquick
- Chicken with lemon-garlic: lemon pepper powder, garlic salt, lemon pepper, and pepper
How to Make Fried Chicken With Bisquick
Assemble your ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Pour butter into an oven-safe baking dish, then place it in the oven.
Mix in a bowl. Mix Bisquick with salt, paprika, and pepper.
Sprinkle the chicken with the Bisquick mix.
Place the chicken in the butter that is hot, and bake in the oven for 35 mins.
Turn the chicken over and bake for an additional 15 minutes. To test the cookedness by poking into the bird with a sharp knife. If the juices flowing out aren’t pink anymore, it means the chicken has been baked.
Take the cooked chicken out of the pan, and then serve it!
Fried Chicken With Bisquick
yield: 4 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes Total time: 1 HOUR
The Bisquick-coated chicken fried is a fantastic method to whip up a quick delicious crisp chicken!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup Bisquick
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Pepper and salt, as desired
- 1.5lb. Chicken leg or desired part, skinless
- Preheat the oven to 425degF.
- Put butter in the baking dish and then put it in the oven.
- Mix in a bowl. Mix Bisquick with salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Cover the chicken in the Bisquick mix.
- Place the chicken in the hot butter and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Then flip the chicken and bake for an additional 15 minutes. To determine if the chicken is cooked, you can poke at the meat with a sharp knife. If the juices flowing out aren’t pink anymore, then the chicken is cooked.
- Serve the chicken immediately after removing it from the oven.
YOUNG: 4. SERVING SIZE: 1
Quantity Per Serving: CALORIES: 340TOTAL FAT: 18gSATURATED FAT: 6gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 10gCHOLESTEROL: 224mgSODIUM: 26mgCARBOHYDRATES: 0gFIBER: 0gSUGAR: 0gPROTEIN: 41g(c)
Heya, I’m Norah! The foodie editor here at YummyTasteFood! I love absolutely everything to do with food, baking, and eating! I earned my stripes in the hospitality industry as a pastry chef, sous chef, and barista. I’m now a freelance writing nomad. I do not miss the hospitality industry! Be sure to join our Facebook group – it’s free to access!