As an award-winning chef with years of experience working at Michelin-starred restaurants in locations around the world, I know a thing or two about cooking a delicious Tomahawk Steak Gordon Ramsay style.
In this article, I’ll share my tips and tricks with you so you can cook a mouth-watering Tomahawk Steak just like Gordon Ramsay would. So, let’s get started!
In This Article
What Is A Tomahawk Steak?
A Tomahawk Steak is an expensive cut of beef ribeye that comes with an extra-long bone attached.
It is called a tomahawk because of its distinctive shape, which resembles a Native American tomahawk axe.
This steak is also commonly known as a cowboy steak, and it’s a popular cut among meat lovers due to its rich flavor and tenderness.
How To Prepare The Tomahawk Steak
- Remove the steak from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking. This will allow the steak to cook more evenly.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet over high heat and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Once the skillet is hot, sear the steak on both sides until it is golden brown. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side.
How To Cook The Tomahawk Steak
- Transfer the skillet with the steak to the preheated oven and cook for about 10-12 minutes for medium-rare doneness. If you prefer your steak cooked more, add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the steak. For medium-rare, the temperature should reach 130-135 degrees Fahrenheit, and for medium, it should be 135-145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the steak is cooked to your desired doneness, remove it from the oven and the skillet.
- Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it. This will allow the juices to settle and ensure a tender and juicy steak.
Now you know how to cook it the same way as Gordon Ramsay shows in his many cookbooks, it’s time you read my guide on what you should serve with your tomahawk steak!
How Long Should I Let The Steak Rest Before Cutting Into It?
It is recommended to let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into the tomahawk.
Can I Use A Different Type Of Skillet To Cook The Steak?
Yes, you can use a different type of skillet, but a cast-iron skillet is preferred for the best sear and flavor.
What Can I Serve With A Tomahawk Steak?
Tomahawk Steak pairs well with various sides, such as roasted vegetables, crispy fries, mashed potatoes, or a refreshing salad.
There you have it, an easy and fool-proof way to cook a delicious Tomahawk Steak the same way Gordon Ramsay would!
So, next time you want to impress your guests with a mouth-watering steak, just follow these simple steps and get ready to receive lots of compliments. Enjoy!