As an award-winning chef and lover of good food, you can take your culinary skills to the next level when cooking wagyu skirt steak correctly.
How do you cook Wagyu skirt steak? First, marinate the Wagyu skirt steak. Preheat the grill or skillet to high heat. Cook steak for 2-3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain to ensure tenderness.
Wagyu skirt steak is one of the most sought-after cuts of beef in the market, which means it’s a delicate meat that needs a lot of attention.
But with the right techniques and careful attention to detail, you can achieve a crispy crust with a juicy and tender inside that will leave your taste buds craving for more.
In this article, I’ll show you how to cook wagyu skirt steak perfectly, from choosing the right cut to creating a flavorful crust.
In This Article
Choosing The Right Cut of Wagyu Skirt Steak
Not all cuts of wagyu skirt steak are created equal. When choosing the right cut for your recipe, remember that there are two main types of wagyu skirt steak: inside and outside.
The inside skirt is more marbled and has a thin membranous layer on top that needs to be removed before cooking. It’s also a bit thicker than the outside skirt.
On the other hand, the outside skirt has less marbling and is a thinner and more elongated cut of meat.
Whether you choose an inside or outside skirt, make sure it’s of high quality and has a decent amount of fat.
The fat on the steak will contribute to the flavor and help keep the meat moist during the cooking process.
Preparing and Seasoning The Wagyu Skirt Steak
Before cooking the wagyu skirt steak, preparing and seasoning it correctly is essential. Here’s how:
- Remove the meat from the fridge for at least an hour before cooking. Bringing the meat to room temperature will ensure even cooking.
- Use a paper towel to pat the meat dry. Excess moisture on the surface will not allow the meat to brown correctly.
- Season the meat with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Be generous with the seasoning. You can add herbs and spices like garlic powder, paprika, or cumin to give it a unique flavor.
How To Cook Wagyu Skirt Steak To Perfection
When it comes to cooking wagyu skirt steak, you want to make sure it’s cooked to perfection.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Heat your grill, skillet, or oven to high heat. You want it to be extremely hot before cooking the steak.
2. Place the wagyu skirt steak on the grill, skillet, or oven and let it sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
3. After searing, move the meat to a cooler section of the grill, skillet, or oven. This will allow the steak to cook without overcooking the outside.
4. Cook for 2-5 minutes, depending on how you like it cooked. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The ideal internal temperature of beef should be 135 to 140°F for medium-rare.
5. Once done, leave the meat to rest for 5 minutes before slicing it. Leaving it to rest will allow the juices to redistribute within the meat, making it more tender and juicy.
Achieving The Perfect Crust and Juicy Inside
The key to achieving a crispy crust with a juicy inside is all in the cooking process.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when cooking wagyu skirt steak:
- Don’t overcrowd the pan or grill. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Use a cast-iron skillet or grill to cook the steak. The heat retention of these materials ensures even cooking of the meat.
- Try rubbing the meat with garlic cloves or brushing it with butter for a flavorful crust. You can also make a crust using black peppercorns or other seasonings.
- Allow the meat to rest before cutting. This will help the juices redistribute and keep the meat moist.
Can I Cook Wagyu Skirt Steak In A Sous Vide Machine?
Yes, you can. Sous vide is an excellent method for cooking wagyu skirt steak. Seal the meat in a vacuum bag and immerse it in a water bath at the desired temperature. Once cooked, give it a quick sear on high heat to create a crust.
Can I Freeze Wagyu Skirt Steak?
Yes, you can freeze it. Wrap the meat tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container before putting it in the freezer. When ready to cook, thaw the meat in the refrigerator overnight.
How Do I Know If The Wagyu Skirt Steak Is Of High Quality?
Look for marbling in the meat. The more marbling, the higher the quality. Additionally, look for a bright red color with a hint of pink.
Can I Cook Wagyu Skirt Steak On A Gas Grill?
Yes, you can. Heat the gas grill to high heat and sear the steak for 2-3 minutes on each side. Then, move it to a cooler section of the grill and cook through for 2-5 minutes.
Cooking wagyu skirt steak may seem challenging, but with the right techniques, you can achieve beautifully tender meat with a fantastic crust.
Remember to choose the right cut and quality, prepare and season it correctly, and cook it to perfection.
Now that you know how to cook wagyu skirt steak, invite your friends over for a BBQ and show off your skills.
Your guests will appreciate the meat’s juicy, tender texture and fantastic flavor.