How long will your tamales last?
They can last for about a week in the refrigerator for 6 months when stored in the freezer and for 4 hours on the countertop. In the fridge and freezer tamales can be stored by covering in plastic, then placed inside an airtight container. On the countertop, the tamales should not be kept for more than 4 hours.
If you’re looking for a tasty and easy-to-eat snack or meal, then Tamales are an excellent choice. They are made with masa-based dough and are packed with a variety of fillings that will satisfy your tastes.
Tamales are cooked in a banana leaf or corn husk to give a delicate and distinctive texture that is certain to leave you wanting more.
If you’re making the tamales from scratch, it could certainly be a daunting task that’s why batch cooking Tamales is a great idea.
If you’re making a large batch of tamales you’ll want to know whether they can be stored in the freezer, fridge, or even on the kitchen counter until you’re prepared to eat the tamales.
This article will demonstrate how to preserve your tamales so they remain fresh and tasty.
Read on to find out the tamales and the length of time they can last, how you can properly preserve them, as well as the best methods to heat them.
Coming Up Next:
What Is A Tamale?
Tamales are a dish made of corn that originated in Mesoamerica. Tamales have been eaten in various forms for many thousands of years due to their versatility and flavor.
Tamale can be described as an Anglicized version of Tamale is an Anglicized form of the Spanish word tamal which is derived from the Nahuatl word, tamale.
The tamale’s dough is made of masa (corn) which could be filled with a variety of items. The most well-known fillings are chilies, cheeses and meats fruits, and vegetables.
The selection of the fillings is yours and each person can combine different ingredients to make unique flavors.
The masa dough can then be wrapped up in the husk of a corn or banana leaf and steams until it is cooked. If you wish to enhance the flavor of the tamale, you can spice the liquid that is steaming.
When the tamale has been cooked, it is possible to remove it from its husk or serve it as a dish.
Tamales wrapped in wraps are easy to transport, tasty, and tasty. Additionally, the flavors are almost endless which is why it’s easy to see why this food has been able to stand the tests of time.
Although you might connect tamales with Mexican tradition, it is believed that they originated from Indigenous communities that are located in today’s Mexico and Guatemala across the other regions of Latin America
How Long Will Tamales Last In The Fridge?
If you’re looking to make a big batch of tamales to eat throughout the week You’re in luck. Tamales may be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week.
This means that you can cook them earlier during the week, and then warm them up for dinner or lunch.
How to Keep Tamales In The Fridge
To keep your tamales in the best condition in the refrigerator it is recommended to follow these guidelines.
- Allow the tamales to cool until the temperature of room.
- Choose a container that is airtight and can accommodate your tamales, without having to make them bend or squash them.
- Layer tamales in the base of the bottle.
- After you have filled the containers to the top is filled and you are satisfied, place the plastic wrap on top of the Tamales. Place the wrap into the sides of the container a bit.
- If there’s more room within the container put the second layer above the previous layer.
- When the layer is finished After that, you can add another plastic wrap over the top layer of Tamales. Carefully tuck the plastic wrap into to the edges of the tamales.
- Repeat this process until the container is full.
- When your container is fully filled, place one last piece of plastic wrap over it and gently press it over the tamales. Seal the container..
- Use a sheet of masking tape, write the date as well as the contents on the tape and attach it on the lid of the container. This extra step will let you know if the tamales are fresh enough to be eaten.
- Put in the refrigerator and consume in the next 7 days.
How Long Will Tamales Last In The Freezer?
In general, you will want to make use of your tamales within six months of the date when they were frozen. When they reach this age, they could begin to show signs of freezing burn or may have less appealing taste and texture.
How To Store Tamales In The Freezer
Tamales can be frozen, which is a great option to store them to ensure maximum freshness and flavor if you’re not planning on eating them within a couple of days after cooking.
Tamales are extremely safe to freeze well, and if you adhere to the right steps, they can last for as long as 6 months.
- Make sure that your Tamales are cool to the temperature of room. Sometimes, I even place them in the refrigerator overnight before freezing.
- Find a baking sheet that can fit into your freezer, and place it on top of parchment paper.
- Lay your tamales on a flat surface. Place at least half to one inch space between each. You want air to be able to flow through them, so that they can remain frozen evenly.
- The tray and the plate of tamales in the freezer. It is recommended to allow them to sit between 12 and 24 hours until they’re completely frozen. You can poke them to check if they’re solid.
- When the tamales have been completely frozen, you can move them into an airtight container or freezer bag. If you place their baking sheets the chances are they’ll be prone to developing freezer burn. If you’d like to protect further, you could individual wrap each tamale with plastic wrap before putting it in the container or freezer bag.
- Once the bag is packed and sealed, grab a piece of masking tape. Write the year and the contents on the tape. Attach the tape onto the container or bag and then return it back to your freezer.
In the event that you take these guidelines then you’ll be able to maintain the quality of your Tamales for as long as 6 months in the freezer.
How Long Will Tamales Last On The Counter?
If you’re planning to leave food in the refrigerator at room temperature, it’s not something you would want to do for more than four hours.
When food that has been cooked is stored at room temperature, it can become a place for the growth of various bacteria that can cause you to become sick if you eat them.
To keep them fresher and to keep bugs and flies from getting a taste of their fruits from your work ensure that you protect your tamales from flies with plastic wrap when they’re sold at a counter.
I wouldn’t suggest keeping your tamales out for longer than 2 days on the counter prior to when you put them in the freezer or fridge as per the guidelines in the previous paragraph.
If you’re certain you’re not likely to consume them immediately The best thing to do is to put them in the fridge and heat them up.
To ensure that you do not get sick after leaving the tamales in the fridge for a few hours, you should warm them up to 165 degrees before you eat them.
If you’re planning to serve tamales at the dinner or potluck you may want to keep them hot in a warm chafing bowl to stop the growth of bacteria.
How Long Will Cooked Tamales Last On The Counter?
Due to freshly prepared ingredients is not recommended to cook tamales and be kept in the open for more than half an hour or so prior to when you cook them or transfer them into the freezer or fridge.
Fresh ingredients are great food for bacteria, so it is important to ensure you don’t allow them to spoil before you can take them in.
Can You Freeze Uncooked Tamales?
If you’re making a huge batch of tamales but only wish to cook a handful to eat then you may be wondering whether it’s possible to keep the tamales that aren’t cooked to make use of later. The good news is that tamales that are not cooked can be frozen extremely well!
They will last for approximately 4-6 months If they follow all the steps for freezing as I have outlined in the previous paragraph. By wrapping them separately, you can aid in keeping them from forming a solid block and will improve their quality over an extended period of time.
Be sure to not skip the part in which you write down the date and the contents of either the bag in your freezer or tape masking. This will stop you from eating burnt freezer or tamales that taste unpleasant.
Can You Reheat Tamales?
If you’re looking to heat your tamales, there are a few alternatives. Because tamales are typically cooked with steam, steaming them to heat them is one option.
It is also possible to use microwaves or ovens however the texture might be different when you employ these methods.
How To Reheat Tamales In A Steamer
Use these instructions to heat your tamales with steamer methods.
- The steamer should be filled halfway with water , then turn it towards medium.
- Put either the basket of steamer or pot onto the top.
- Put your tamales in a single layer inside the basket. Cover with the lid.
- Steam for 1515 to 20 mins. If you’re cooking the vegetables using frozen the frozen ones, you may require an additional 10-15 minutes to cook time.
- Look for the mark . If the tamales have not warm enough, flip them upside down and steam for an additional five to ten minutes.
- After it has warmed up, take it out of the basket that you steam and remove the husk or banana leaf and enjoy.
How To Reheat Tamales In An Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is among the top kitchen tools that save me time. It is able to do everything from pressure-cooking beans and chickpeas, to creating amazing stews and soups and even heating Tamales in a flash.
Follow these instructions to cook your tamales using your Instant Pot.
- Put one cup of water into the middle of the Instant Pot. It is not possible to skip this step because your Instant Pot requires water to pressurize.
- You can make use of either the Instant Pot steamer basket or steam rack. Put the item you have in the Instant Pot.
- Make tamales inside the Instant Pot.
- Cover the lid of the Instant Pot and allow it to close. Click the Manual button and set the timer to five minutes. It is possible to add a few additional minutes if they are frozen.
- Allow the tamales to simmer. When the timer has been set then you can manually release the steam , or let it naturally release when you’re not in a rush.
- Use tongs to lift your Tamales off your Instant Pot then let them cool for about 2 minutes before unwrapping them and eating.
How Do You Make Tamales Reheat In A Oven
The option of reheating your tamales in your oven could be another option for those who don’t wish to take out the steamer.
Remember that they could dry out a bit and the texture may not be as smooth as if the tamales are cooked. Follow these steps to heat your Tamales by baking them in an oven:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wrap each tamale with aluminum foil. Make sure there’s no gap between the tamale’s rind and foil. The tighter , the more secure!
- The tamales should be placed in single layers on the baking sheet.
- Put the tamales into the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes you can open to the oven. Flip the tamales on their sides.
- Cook the tamales another 10 minutes.
- Take the tamales out of the oven and remove the corn husk and tinfoil.
- Have fun with your favourite sauce.
If you plan to make tamales using frozen, it’s best to let them sit overnight in the fridge before putting them in the oven. If you haven’t remembered this step, then you’ll require letting them cook for approximately 10 minutes more.
How Do You Reheat Tamales Microwave
If you’d like to warm your tamales using the microwave, you will need to follow these instructions. The texture could change, and the chance is that they will dry out.
When you’ve got the chance I would suggest trying cooking or steaming in the oven, but a microwave is a good option in the event of a shortage.
- Choose a microwave-safe plate that will fit your Tamales.
- Cover each of the tamales with one of the damp towels to stop their drying excessively.
- Put the tamales in one stack on your plate with about an inch space between every tamale. A little space helps them cook evenly.
- Make sure you set your oven to approximately 2 minutes. Make sure to check the temperature. If you prefer them hotter add an additional minute to cook time until they’re warmed to a point of.
- Take the tamales off the microwave, and then remove the corn husk and paper towel and then have a delicious snack.
Roundup of Keeping Your Tamales Fresh
As you can observe, tamales are delicious and can be stored in the freezer or fridge. If you intend to keep them in the fridge then ensure that you consume them within the first week of keeping them in order to ensure that they are fresh and delicious.
With the proper storage methods, tamales will last in the freezer for around six months. Label the bag with the contents and the date so that you don’t forget the time you cooked them, and how long they’ll last.
Heya, I’m Norah! The foodie editor here at YummyTasteFood! I love absolutely everything to do with food, baking, and eating! I earned my stripes in the hospitality industry as a pastry chef, sous chef, and barista.
I’m now a freelance writing nomad. I do not miss the hospitality industry! Read more about me…