How do you cook beyond Beyond Burgers and vegetable-based burger patties?
Simply preheat your pan, add the patties in and fry for approximately 4 minutes on each side. Thinner patties require less time to cook. The patties are fully cooked after they reach the temperature of 165 deg.
There is no longer a time when plant-based diets are referred to as “flavorless”, “bland” and “boring”. If you’re in doubt about whether to go meat-free, this is the sign for you!
The biggest reason people have for not changing their diet is the fact that they don’t know how to prepare meat alternatives. This is especially true in the case of meat-free hamburger patties.
In this piece, we’ll look at the ways to cook Beyond Burger patties as well as other meat-free patties for burgers.
We’ll also look at some useful tips and tricks, including how to determine if the patties are cooked thoroughly, and the numerous ways to make use of the meatless patties.
What Are Plant-Based Burgers?
Plant-based burgers are by no means new to the shelves of the supermarket however, they’re not popular!
It is possible that you have come across (or perhaps accidentally grabbed) certain Beyond Burger patties, or other brands such as Morning Star, but do you really take them? Or do you simply put it aside since you’re not sure the difference between them?
You may have heard people saying that plant-based burgers don’t taste as good as meat-based patties.
However, don’t let it stop you from enjoying these delicious burgers! It’s not necessary to be vegan or suffer from a dietary restriction to take advantage of these delicious burgers made from plant-based ingredients. Be assured that you’re being left out of these tasty hamburgers!
For burgers made of plant matter The first thing, they examine is the best way to create them meatier.
When you look at the typical patties for burgers you will find the protein component, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, and water. Therefore, instead of using meat, you can make use of plant-based ingredients to cross the above off.
As an example, lentils are utilized instead of red meat. Aquafaba liquid can assist in gluing the ingredients. Coconut oil, a plant-based fat, is utilized to provide moisture. It’s pretty impressive, isn’t it?
There are many plant-based burgers that are made in the same way as the renowned Beyond Burgers products. They may use different methods of preparation or ingredients and different flavors.
That’s part of the reason why plant-based burger patties are amazing! They don’t just get the taste of spices, but also from the actual ingredients you use.
Today’s burgers aren’t only made of squishy vegetables that crumble while they’re being cooked and served, but they also have an abundance of vitamins and minerals.
Benefits Of Burgers Made From Plants
Plant-based hamburgers are not just delicious, but actually provide a lot of additional benefits which could convince you that you should switch from meat to meatless.
- Plant-based burgers are healthier for the environment. We know, it may sound like something you’ve heard before however, why not do something to help the environment while eating your favorite hamburger? Animal products produced in the agri-food industry contributes to nearly 51% of the world’s greenhouse emissions. We’re not suggesting that you eliminate animal products entirely but every alteration and change you make can assist in reducing this percentage! Burgers made from plants use 75 percent less water and more land and generate nearly 87 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than a typical burger. Wow!
- They are non-animal products. The choice of burgers made from plant sources helps to fight the cruelty of animals. We’ve all seen the horrible videos on the web – chicken farms or pig pens, commercial feedlots for cows. We are aware that there are many farms that run like that but do you actually know where your food comes from? If you’re not prepared to make the effort to determine this you should opt for a plant-based option to ensure that you’re not creating a humane and cruel system.
- They’re truly delicious. We don’t even know who claimed that plant-based hamburgers are lacking in taste because, If you think about it, the sole ingredient that gives meat patties flavor is spices. Even burgers made from plant sources have spices! They’re more flavorful due to the flavor enhancement of the ingredients utilized. When they are smothered with an extraordinarily delicious umami (meat-free) marinade, you may not even be aware that it’s not actually meat.
- Meat-free could be an option for a healthier lifestyle. Imagine eating a hamburger which is not laden with hormones, and is totally saturated and free of trans-fats! The plant-based burger is the solution. Because they don’t contain meat, there aren’t any worries about harmful hormones , or trans-fats or saturated fats. When you consider how natural vegetables are they must be better for your health than eating a burger stuffed with hormones. It is also possible to determine if the company used non-GMO ingredients or organic products.
- Higher quality protein. Numerous studies have proven that plant-based protein has superior in quality that animal-based proteins. In essence, you’re still growing, but in a different method!
- High-quality ingredients. Burgers are made of ground beef, usually offcuts as well as poor quality cuts. There’s no way to know the source of the meat or (sorry to make this statement, but you’ve heard of the stories) to determine if it’s all beef or all-chicken! For plant-based products the only thing you need to be looking to find is organic ingredients. Even if the package does not specifically state this the plant-based ingredients are assured of higher quality than meat.
- We guarantee that it will be completely free of pink slime. Yes that’s right pink slime. Yuck! Pink slime is an ingredient that is present in most processed meats. The leftovers from animals that are fatty are heated and spun prior to being treated with ammonia gas to eliminate bacteria. Although it is healthy to eat however, why would you even want to added it to your hamburger? Burgers made from plants however are free of pink slime!
The Nutritional Value of Plant-Based Burgers
If the mere thought of pink slime hasn’t convinced you to go with vegetarian burgers, then here are some nutritional facts that are sure to make you reconsider your choices.
Plant-based burgers offer the equivalent amount of calories, iron, protein, and micronutrients that a traditional beef burger. Even though plant-based burgers may be high in sodium, they offer many health and nutritional benefits.
- Plant-based burgers have more healthy fats, and they don’t contain Trans-fats, saturated or trans fats.
- The chance of contracting food-borne illness is lower because the ingredients don’t originate from animals.
- There’s a possibility that it could reduce the risk of getting cancer due to due to the absence of chemicals and hormones in the components.
- increases the good cholesterol (HDL) which, in turn, provides a number of cardiovascular advantages.
How To Make Burgers Made of Plant-Based Ingredients
The process of cooking a veggie burger can seem simple and isn’t difficult however if you’ve ever prepared one in the past, you’ll realize there’s always the chance of it breaking. It’s also difficult to tell the moment it’s been cooked to perfection.
When it comes to meat, the color is often a sign however, what do you know about the burgers made from plants?
Of course, different plant-based burgers differ in cooking directions Be sure to check the labels first. Today, we’ll attempt to address all the possible variables that you can encounter in the case of vegan burgers.
How To Cook Plant-Based Burgers
They are generally made from plant matter and are typically more dense than normal.
- 2 Beyond Burger patties
- Your favorite burger toppings
- 2 Burger buns
- Prepare a grill or non-stick pan to medium-high. You may add a bit of grease to the skillet if would like however, it’s not essential.
- Take the packaging off the patties and put they on top of the grill, or the pan. They can be cooked for approximately 4 minutes per side, making sure you only flip them over once.
- Take the patties off the grill or pan, and then assemble the hamburger to your preference!
We like adding garlic aioli and grilled mushrooms as well as a slice or one of vegan cheese. Or, go for the classic taste profile by adding crisp lettuce, tomatoes, and caramelized, or beer-battered onions.
Tips and Tricks For Making Plant-based Burgers
Similar to regular meat-based hamburger patties varieties, plant-based burger patties can differ. The most frequent variable (after the ingredients are employed) is how thick the patties are.
As we’ve said, Beyond Burger makes thicker than regular patties. Other brands, such as Morning Star, make quite thin patties. The thickness can definitely impact the cooking time, and eventually after the patties are cooked to perfection.
For Thicker Burgers:
Thicker burgers such as Beyond Burgers are recommended to cook slightly longer than thin burgers. The suggested cooking time for burgers made from plant-based ingredients is approximately 4 minutes for each side, depending on the type of burger.
Typically, burgers that are thicker such as Beyond Burgers recommend defrosting their patties before they begin cooking.
For Thinner Burgers:
Thinner burgers, such as Morning Star veggie burgers can be cooked in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes, depending on the microwave you use. You can cook them over your grill or in the pan, however, for a shorter amount of time than burgers that are thicker.
Morning Star burgers are cooked for around 3 minutes on each side. The best general rule of thumb (that is generally applicable to cooking) is that the more thin food item, the less cooking time.
Read also: Best Burger Presses .
How Do You Know If It’s Cooked
In contrast to burgers made from animal meat, it is difficult to be sure if the burger made from plant matter is cooked through to the core. When it comes to meat, color is generally the most reliable indicator however some plants don’t reveal too much.
The most reliable way to determine whether the burger is cooked is to test the temperature inside the thickest point of the burger’s patties. The ideal temperature for the internal temperature is to be 165 deg.
- Make Use of The Spatula! Yes, sometimes we’re lazy and just flip the burgers over using spoons or forks or whatever else is nearby! The burgers made from plant-based ingredients are less durable than beef burgers, so make certain you use a spatula in order that your burger won’t fall apart or split.
- It’s Fine! Allow the burger to fully brown on one side prior to flipping it. Doing too many flips could cause it to break or extend its cooking duration. Simply allow it to rest for the appropriate amount of time and remain patient.
- Make Sure The Pan Is Hot before Making The Burger Patties! A little oil is always helpful in frying the burger to perfection. Don’t overcrowd your pan when cooking your burgers or else some may cook and others remain raw!
Different Cooking Methods
Like any other beef burger, the patty is many ways to cook burgers made of plant ingredients, and it’s all up to your personal preferences or what tools you have at your disposal.
So, here is a variety of ways to cook burgers made of plant-based ingredients.
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F. Place your preferred vegetable burger patties into the air fryer’s chamber and cook for 9 minutes. Turn the patties during the cooking process.
Make sure you grease your basket of the air fryer basket with a small amount of oil or spray with non-stick properties to stop your patties from sticking to the basket of an air fryer.
The air fryer can be a fast and easy method of cooking vegetable-based burgers. However, it could require more difficulty in cleaning than a standard pan.
It’s possible that you’ll scratch the inside of your brain, however you can cook vegan burgers using the microwave. The burgers you cook are typically already cooked and need only to be heated.
The result is not the same as when you cook it in the grill pan or skillet. The microwave won’t provide that charred, crisp texture, but it is more likely to give you the soft Patty. It’s still a good alternative to keep in your fridge for emergencies.
The oven that you trust will never fail to deliver. Set your oven’s temperature to 400°F. Put your plant-based burgers on an oven tray and cook them for about 10 minutes, flipping them halfway.
Ovens can take a bit longer to prepare burgers that are made from plant sources than a pan, or an air fryer would, however, the result is still fantastic no matter what!
How To Keep Plant-Based Burgers
The burgers made from plant-based ingredients should be consumed 3 days after the time of opening. The burger patties that have been opened should be stored in the refrigerator until the time you are ready to use them.
A package that is not opened can be kept in good condition for up to 10 days when stored in the fridge unless otherwise stated by the label!
The burgers made of plant-based protein last a long time within the freezer, and can be kept up to up to six months! Always make sure that you do not overheat frozen burgers in the refrigerator for a few hours.
It is suggested that burgers be cooked after thawing however some burgers made from plant sources particularly the burgers with thin sides are cooked from frozen.
After the patties are cooked, don’t keep them too long. Place their airtight jar in the refrigerator for two days or more.
What To Do With Burgers Made of Plant-Based Patties
The burgers made from plant-based ingredients are very flexible! Here are a few entertaining ideas for you to explore outside hamburgers.
- You can make the patties to make your own homemade meatballs made of plant matter and serve them with a delicious bechamel cheese sauce as well as tomato-based sauce.
- Split the patties into smaller patties, forming mini-sliders to serve canapes, appetizers, or birthday celebrations.
- Crush the burgers and mix them in with small breadcrumbs or even other vegetables to substitute the ground meat in lasagna recipes dish or as a topping for Nachos!
Heya, I’m Norah! The foodie editor here at YummyTasteFood! I love absolutely everything to do with food, baking, and eating! I earned my stripes in the hospitality industry as a pastry chef, sous chef, and barista. I’m now a freelance writing nomad. I do not miss the hospitality industry! Be sure to join our Facebook group – it’s free to access!